Georgetown vs. No. 67 Miami
|Charlie Caris/Casey Distaso||4|
|Wilfredo Gonzalez/Omar Aly||8|
|Shane Korber/Alex Tropiano||3|
|Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto||8|
|Reese Milner/Daniel Khanin||5|
|Henrique Tsukamoto/Marco Stancati||8|
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Dominant performances in both singles and doubles play propelled the No. 67 University of Miami men's tennis team past Georgetown, 4-0, in its first of two matches today at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. With the win, Miami improves to 8-4 on the season and 5-1 at home.
The Hurricanes jumped out to an early 1-0 advantage behind strong doubles performances on all three courts. Miami's No. 2 pair of Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores cruised to an 8-3 victory over Georgetown's Shane Korber and Alex Tropiano. Miami secured the doubles point on court three, as Marco Stancati and Henrique Tsukamoto battled to an 8-5 win over Reese Milner and Daniel Khanin. Miami's Wilfredo Gonzalez and Omar Aly led Charlie Caris and Casey Distaso, 7-4, when Miami clinched the doubles.
"We came out strong in doubles" head coach Mario Rincon said. "It was an overall good performance and we had a lot of energy and that gave us momentum going into the singles."
Miami picked up where they left off in doubles play, claiming the first set on all six courts.
Singles play began with a quick point from Gabriel Flores, who defeated Charlie Caris, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 2 position. Marco Stancati gave the Canes a 3-0 lead with his 6-2, 6-2 win against Reese Milner at No. 3 singles and William Albanese clinched the victory for the Canes with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Shane Korber at the fifth position.
"We jumped on them in singles and were able to close the match with a lot of momentum on our side." said Rincon.
The Hurricanes will return to the court at 3 p.m. today for a match against Florida Gulf Coast at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Eagles are 4-5 on the season.
For more information on the University of Miami men's tennis team, visit HurricaneSports.com. To follow the UM men's tennis team socially, visit Twitter.com/CanesMensTennis and Facebook at /MiamiHurricanesMensTennis.
1. Diego Soto (MIA) vs. Charlie Caris (GU) 6-3, 5-6
2. Gabriel Flores (MIA) def. Daniel Khanin (GU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Marco Stancati (MIA) def. Reese Milner (GU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Victor Mauz (MIA) vs. Casey Distaso (GU) 7-6, 3-1
5. William Albanese (MIA) def. Shane Korber (GU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (MIA) vs. Alex Tropiano (GU) 6-2, 6-6
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) def, Charlie Cairs/Casey Distaso (GU) 8-4
2. Diego Soto/Gabriel Flores (MIA) def. Shane Korber/Alex Tropiano (GU) 8-3
3. Henrique Tsukamoto/Marco Stancati (MIA) def. Reese Milner/Daniel Khanin (GU) 8-5