|Box Score||Full Broadcast|
|Season Stats||Audio Highlights|
|SCORE BY HALF|
|Click here to enlarge|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Senior Davon Reed scored 17 points to lead Miami to a 94-56 rout of North Florida Wednesday night.
With 11:07 remaining in the first half, the Hurricanes led the Ospreys by five points, 21-16. Following a lay-up by freshman Bruce Brown, Miami went on a 38-4 run and took a 39-point lead with 15:40 remaining in the second half.
Heading into the break, Reed led the Hurricanes with 13 points, while Ja’Quan Newton recorded five assists.
After starting the game 0-3 from the field, Newton finished the game 7-10, scoring 16 points to go along with a career-high seven assists.
After opening his career against Western Carolina with 13 points and seven rebounds, freshman Dewan Huell tallied 15 points and eight rebounds off the bench.
Dallas Moore led the attack for North Florida, scoring 12 points while Wajid Aminu (11) and Garrett Sams (10) scored double-digits coming off the bench.
Following tonight’s victory, the Hurricanes will return to the Watsco Center, Saturday at 4 p.m. against Penn.
- Starters: G Ja’Quan Newton, G Anthony Lawrence Jr., G Davon Reed, F Kamari Murphy, C Ebuka Izundu
- After playing against UNF, Murphy and Reed have each played in 100 career games. Murphy played in 66 games at Oklahoma State before playing 34 at Miami. All 100 of Reed's games played are at UM.
- All scholarship players have scored four or more points for the second-straight game.
- In three consecutive halves, the Hurricanes have scored 45+ points. In the second half, against Western Carolina, Miami scored 51 points before scoring 48 in the first and 46 in the second half against UNF.
- Miami shot 50 percent from the field in both halves for the first time since last season’s second round matchup against Wichita State of the NCAA Tournament. The Hurricanes shot 19-37 (51.4%) in the first half and 18-31 (58.1%) in the second.
- As a team Miami shot 37-68 (54.4%) from the field, while holding North Florida to only 21-61 (34.4%) from the field and 7-24 (29.2%) from three.
- For the second consecutive game, the Hurricanes have scored 90+ points in a game – 92 against Western Carolina and 94 against North Florida. The last time this occurred was against Mississippi State (105) on November 19 and Utah (90) on November 20, 2015.
- Freshmen DJ Vasiljevic (13) and Dewan Huell (15) have scored double-digit points in their opening two games as Hurricanes. For the second consecutive game Vasiljevic made three 3s, while Huell grabbed eight rebounds and remains perfect from the free throw line (6-6).
- For the second time this season five hurricanes scored double-digit points. Reed (17), Newton (16), Huell (15), Vasiljevic (13) and Lawrence (10).
- Reed led the Hurricanes with 17 points, while Murphy set a season high with nine rebounds.
- Opening the night with five first half assists, Newton set a career high with seven assists. The Philadelphia native shot 7-10 from the field, making seven consecutive to end the game.
- Miami opened the match on a 7-0 run, as Lawrence opened up the scoring with a three, 24 seconds into the game. The Hurricanes held the lead for the remainder of the evening.