CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Several University of Miami athletics staff and their families attended the 12th annual Holiday Shopping Spree for Kids, honoring legacy of former football player Bryan Pata.
allCanes and the Bryan Pata Memorial Fund to teamed up for the annual event Wednesday. More than 35 at-risk locl kids received a $95 shopping spree to honor Pata's legacy. This year's event was presented by UHealth Sports Medicine.
Hosted by broadcaster Tony Segreto, the event included appearances by:
- Miami Interim Director of Athletics Blake James and his wife Kelly;
- Kelly Golden, wife of head football coach Al Golden;
- Ryan McNamee, Miami Football Director of Player Development;
- Joe Zagacki, Voice of the Hurricanes;
- Bret Romberg, center on Miami's 2001 national championship team;
- Jim Morris, head baseball coach;
- Jim Larranaga, head men's basketball coach;
- Katie Meier, head women's basketball coach;
- Micheal Barrow, assistant football coach;
- Mario Rincon, head men's tennis coach;
- Amy Deem, director of track & field/cross country
- Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, head women's tennis coach; and
- Sebastian the Ibis.
Members of the Pata family were also in attedance.
Pata was a member of the Miami Hurricanes football team from 2003-06. He was in his fourth season with the Canes when he died Nov. 7, 2006. He appeared in 41 games, making 23 starts, and was playing defensive tackle during his final season.