No. 10 Women’s Tennis Edged by No.1 Seed UCLA
February 9, 2013
The Hurricanes claimed the doubles point as the teams of Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner, and Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno won their matches, 8-6 and 8-4, respectively. It was the first time this season that UCLA (5-0) had dropped the doubles point.
No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 10 Miami
|Chanelle Van Nguyen||6||6
|Catherine Harrison||7 (3)||7 (3)|
As a tandem, Lileikite and Wagner moved to 7-2 on the season and upended the UCLA duo of Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton, the nation’s 16th-ranked doubles team.
“We played exceptional in doubles,” said Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “But, some weaknesses were definitely exploited in singles at important positions.”
Miami dropped singles matches at the Nos. 1,2 and 4 positions, before Riobueno pulled the Canes to with one at 3-2, with her 7-5, 6-4 win over Morton.
“UCLA was dominant at the one and two spots,” said Yaroshuk-Tews. “They played lights out. It’s tough when two points get on the board so fast.”
While Kelsey Laurente’s match on court No. 3 was in its back-and-forth third set, Wagner was in a nerve-racking battle with UCLA’s Catherine Harrison at No. 5. Wagner narrowly dropped the first set in a tie break and was playing the second just as tight. However, Harrison would again go on to win the second tie breaker of the match, claiming the win and clinching the encounter for the Bruins, 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-3).
When play was suspended, Montez and Laurente were tied 3-3 in the third set.
“I thought we pushed UCLA to its limit at three, five and six,” said Yaroshuk-Tews. “Unfortunately, we came up a little short on Wagner’s court. I’m very proud of how she competed and how far she has come in a short six to seven week period.”
Miami and Northwestern are scheduled to begin play Saturday at 9 a.m.
“We are looking forward to Northwestern tomorrow,” added Yaroshuk-Tews. “It’s another great team and another opportunity to get better.”
For live updates and updated brackets, visit the ITA tournament website.
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Monique Albuquerque (UM) 6-0, 6-2
2. #47 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #57 Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-0, 6-2
3. #96 Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. #51 Kelsey Laurente (UM) 3-6, 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
4. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Melissa Bolivar (UM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. #92 Stephanie Wagner (UM) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-3)
6. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Skylar Morton (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
1. Lina Lileikite/Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. #16 Robin Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) 8-6
2. Courtney Dolehide/Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) 4-7, unfinished
3. Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Kyle McPhillips/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 8-4
Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,2,4,6,5)