|#96 Moritz Buerchner
"We had a couple of tough matchups out there," head coach Mario Rincon said. "What we have to do right now is bounce back and get better."
The doubles matches were closely contested, as the Hurricanes and Ospreys stayed close through the early going. Service breaks went the way of the visitor, however, and the No. 1 doubles tandem of Wilfredo Gonzalez and Marco Stancati dropped an 8-3 decision to Moritz Buerchner and Julien Belair. Miami's No. 3 doubles team stood tied at 8-8, when juniors Omar Aly and Gabriel Flores fell, 9-7, as North Florida clinched the doubles point on court two.
"Losing the doubles point really took a lot from us," Rincon said. "Although, I think we played good enough to win we could not close doubles matches. "
Miami entered singles play in a 1-0 hole and without a key player in Gabriel Flores, as he sustained an injury during doubles play. North Florida scored the first singles point after Victor Mauz dropped a 6-3, 6-1 decision to Julien Belair. William Albanese, playing at No. 5 singles, put Miami on the board with his 6-1, 6-2 victory over Pedro Davisson.
Junior Diego Soto faced Moritz Buerchner, the 96th ranked player in the nation, at No. 1 singles. Soto fought hard but ended up losing in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. Wilfredo Gonzalez, playing at No. 2 singles, gave Miami its second point, defeating Daniel Sotomarino 4-6, 6-2, 10-4.
On court six, North Florida's Leonardo Nahar defeated Henrique Tsukamoto in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1 while junior Omar Aly dropped his match in three sets 6-3, 4-6, 4-10, at the No. 3 position.
"There are so many good teams out there," Rincon explained. "If you are not on your best game that day you are going to have a hard time winning the match. But I think we have a solid unit, we are going to get better and I think we will be in a good position to beat some great teams."
Miami will return to action on Friday, March 1 when they travel to Lubbock, Texas for a matchup against Texas Tech.
For more information on the University of Miami men's tennis team, visit HurricaneSports.com. To follow the UM men's tennis team socially, visit Twitter.com/CanesMensTennis and Facebook at /MiamiHurricanesMensTennis
1. #96 Moritz Buerchner (UNF) def. Diego Soto 6-3, 6-3
2. Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) def. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) 4-6,6-2,10-4
3. Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) def. Omar Aly (MIA) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
4. Julien Belair (UNF) def. Victor Mauz (MIA) 6-3, 6-1
5. William Albanese (MIA) def. Pedro Davisson (UNF) 6-1, 6-2
6. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (MIA) 6-1, 6-1
1. Moritz Buerchner/Julien Belair (UNF) def. Marco Stancati/Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) 8-3
2. Daniel Sotomarino/Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) def. Gabriel Flores/Omar Aly (MIA) 9-7
3. Diego Soto/Henrique Tsukamoto (MIA) vs. Pedro Davisson/Leonardo Nahar 8-8 unfinished