No. 16 Florida State vs. No. 65 Miami
|No. 110 Dominic Cotrone||6||6|
|Cristian Gonzalez Mendez||6||6|
|No. 22 Benjamin Lock/Andres Bucaro||3|
|Wilfredo Gonzalez/Diego Soto||8|
|Jordan-Kelly Houston/Anderson Reed||5|
|Gabriel Flores/Omar Aly||7||unf|
|Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis||4|
|Henrique Tsukamoto/Diego Soto||8|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 65 University of Miami men’s tennis team presented a stiff challenge for archrival No. 16 Florida State but came up short, dropping a 5-2 decision today at the Scott Speicher Tennis Courts in Tallahassee, Fla. The loss drops Miami to 1-2 in ACC play and 12-6 overall on the dual season.
Miami’s doubles teams were in full control to start the match, helping the Hurricanes jump out to an early 1-0 advantage. Henrique Tsukamoto and Marco Stancati posted an 8-4 victory over Florida State’s Blake Davis and Dominic Cotrone on court three. That left Miami’s top two doubles teams battling to clinch the early point for the Canes and Wilfredo Gonzalez and Omar Aly took care of business. Miami’s top pair grabbed a convincing 8-3 victory the Seminoles’ 22nd-ranked duo of Benjamin Lock and Andres Bucaro to secure the first point of the match.
Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto were closing in on a doubles win with a 7-5 lead over Jordan Kelly-Houston and Anderson Reed when play was halted on court two.
Miami seemed to maintain its momentum from doubles play, as Diego Soto began singles competition with a quick 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jordan Kelly-Houston on court two. The Seminoles, however, responded with three straight set wins of their own from the No. 1, No. 4, and No. 6 singles positions.
Florida State clinched the match on court five as Michael Rinaldi survived a tough challenge from Marco Stancati in a three set match, winning 6-3, 1-6, 6-2.
The Hurricanes will return to action on Friday, March 29 when they travel to Winston-Salem, N.C., for match against ACC foe No. 28 Wake Forest at 4 p.m. at the Wake Forest Tennis Courts.
For more information on the University of Miami men’s tennis team, log on to HurricaneSports.com. To follow the UM men’s tennis team socially, visit Twitter.com/CanesMensTennis and Facebook at /MiamiHurricanesMensTennis.
1. No. 110 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. Gabriel Flores (MIA) 6-3, 6-0
2. Diego Soto (MIA) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIA) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Omar Aly (MIA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Marco Stancati (MIA) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
6. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. William Albanese (MIA) 6-2, 6-0
1. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Omar Aly (MIA) def. No. 22 Benjamin Lock/Andres Bucaro (FSU) 8-3
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (MIA) vs Jordan Kelly-Houston/Anderson Reed unf
3. Henrique Tsukamoto/Marco Stancati (MIA) def. Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis 8-4