Miami vs. Bethune-Cookman
April 3, 2013
Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field | Coral Gables, Fla.
TV: Canes All-Access ($)
Radio: WVUM 90.5 FM
Series: Miami leads, 24-3
Last Meeting: May 6, 2012 - Miami won 4-3 in Coral Gables, FL
The Miami Hurricanes will open up a five-game homestand Wednesday with a midweek matchup against the Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman. First pitch for the battle between Sunshine State foes is set for 6 p.m.
Miami JR. RHP Javi Salas (2-3, 4.19 ERA) vs. B-CU JR. RHP Montana Durapau (3-3, 4.56 ERA)
The Hurricanes hold a 24-3 all-time advantage over the Wildcats, including a weekend sweep over B-CU at Alex Rodriguez Park in 2012. Miami has won five straight over Bethune-Cookman dating back to a 5-3 victory on April 20, 2010 in Coral Gables.
WVUM 90.5 will carry Wednesday's game against the Wildcats, while Canes All-Access will provide a live stream of the game through HurricaneSports.com.
Jim Morris is in his 35th season as a head coach and 20th with the Miami Hurricanes. He has a 1,505-640-4 (.701) career record, including a 870-332-3 mark at Miami, where he has guided the team to two National Championships (1999, 2001).
LAST YEAR'S SERIES...
• The Hurricanes swept Bethune-Cookman at Alex Rodriguez in the tean's penultimate home series of the 2012 regular season.
• In a pitcher's duel in the Friday opener, Miami's Eric Erickson helped deal the Wildcats their first shutout defeat since a May 2011 loss against Florida.
• Miami's offense faltered in game two, but capitalized on its chances to earn a 5-4 decision. The team recorded only two hits on the night, the fewest in a win since Miami connected for only three in a 1-0 win over UCLA in 2007.
• An up-and-down series ended on a positive note when Miami finished off the sweep of B-CU with a walk-off win in the Sunday finale. A crafty slide from Dale Carey on a ninth-inning sacrifice fly from Michael Broad earned Miami its fifth straight victory over the Wildcats.
STARTING OFF STRONG...
• Sophomore Chris Diaz has impressed as Friday night starter, delivering five quality starts in seven chances this season.
• The Florida City, Fla., native ranks 10th in the ACC with an ERA of 2.38, and went a career-long eight innings in his most recent win over Virginia Tech (March 22).
• Junior Bryan Radziewski boasts a team-best ERA of 0.98, having surrendered just three earned runs all season. He has also recorded an eye-popping 41:5 strikeout-to-walk ratio through five starts.
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS...
• B-CU is off to just a 14-16 start in 2013, but has recorded a 7-5 mark in MEAC play.
• Entering Tuesday's matchup with North Florida, the Wildcat offense has been powered by Josh Johnson (.349 average, 12 RBI's), Matt Noble (11 doubles, 23 RBI's) and Eros Modena (.310 average, 19 RBI's).
• On the hill, B-CU has been led by starters Anthony Stokes (2-1, 2.10 ERA) and Montana Durapau (3-3, 4.56).