James Named Community Service Award Winner
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Mike James was honored Saturday as the University of Miami's 2013 Community Service Male Student-Athlete of the Year.
, a sixth-round draft pick by Tampa Bay in the 2013 NFL Draft, contributed countless hours to supporting community service organizations in the Miami community, including volunteering for Empowered Youth, an organization providing mentoring to at-risk youth, serving as a project manager for the 2012 University of Miami Bone Marrow Drive and serving meals to the homeless with the Miami Rescue Mission. James has also been involved with The Ronald McDonald House, Rushing the Community and Canes on Patrol.
One of 11 FBS players named to the 2012 AFCA Allstate Good Works Team in September, he was the recipient of the Community Service Man of the Year, Captain’s Award, Melching Leadership Award and Jack Harding Team MVP at the team’s end-of-season banquet. The Haines City, Fla., product concluded his career with 1,386 rushing yards and 17 scores, while catching 67 passes for 585 yards and five TDs.
James competed in both the Senior Bowl and NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in January. He graduated from Miami in December with his bachelor's degree.
All eight student-athlete award winners were recognized prior to @CanesBaseball's 4-2 win Saturday over St. John's. The 2012-13 University of Miami Athletics Department student-athlete award winners are:
- baseball’s AJ Salcines (Male Scholar Athlete),
- volleyball’s Nrithya Sundararaman (Female Scholar Athlete),
- football’s Mike James (Male Community Service Award),
- women’s basketball’s Maria Brown (Female Community Service Award),
- men’s basketball’s Shane Larkin (Male Most Outstanding Athlete),
- women’s basketball’s Morgan Stroman (Female Most Outstanding Athlete),
- track’s Bassim El-Sabawi (Male Underclassman Scholar of the Year), and
- swimming’s Kara McCormack (Female Underclassman Scholar of the Year).