#CanesCamp Notebook (August 3)
- Head coach Al Golden released his team’s #CanesCamp preseason depth chart Wednesday night.
- Senior QB Stephen Morris and senior DL Shayon Green were named team captains during Friday night’s team meeting.
- Senior RB Eduardo Clements was medically cleared to practice and was participating in Saturday’s first #CanesCamp practice.
- Also returning to the practice field for full participation was sophomore WR Malcolm Lewis, who missed the final eight games of the 2012 season due to an ankle injury.
- Per head coach Al Golden, every Miami Hurricane football player passed the program’s conditioning test Friday.
- According to head strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey, junior WR Phillip Drosett was the fastest Miami Hurricane clocked during the offseason at 4.29 in the 40-yard dash.
- Sophomore RB Duke Johnson said in pre-practice interviews that he added eight pounds of muscle in the offseason.
- Sophomore DB Deon Bush was in a red non-contact jersey Saturday after undergoing sports hernia surgery. Coach Golden expects him to be cleared to practic next week.
- Coach Golden also announced the program’s Unity Council members Friday afternoon.
- The purpose of the Unity Council is to act as a liaison group between the football team and staff. This group of players is selecting by the coaching staff and consists of multiple players from each classification. The council holds a weekly meeting and can convey whether certain situations need immediate attention.
- The 16-player group is led by seniors Stephen Morris, Shayon Green, Jimmy Gaines, Allen Hurns and Brandon Linder. The junior class is represented by Anthony Chickillo, Ladarius Gunter, Shane McDermott and Denzel Perryman, while the sophomores are represented by Tracy Howard, Raphael Kirby and Herb Waters. Freshmen Alex Figueroa, Jermaine Grace, Sunny Odogwu and Kevin Olsen round out the council.
Al Golden on conditioning…
“We didn't have anyone not pass the test for the first time since I've been here. We went from having half the team not pass in my first year to everyone passing. Obviously the culture is changing about conditioning and the attitude is different. They demolished the test. They literally just absolutely crushed it. It's a good feeling and I know they feel good about it.”
Al Golden on the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence…
“We want to make sure there is a standard here at the University of Miami and that it's evident in everything we do. I think we are heading on that track.”
Stephen Morris on leadership…
“My biggest thing is to influence everybody. Leadership doesn't mean anything unless people are following you. My biggest thing is to keep leading and keeping these guys focused for what's ahead.”
Duke Johnson on the start of #CanesCamp…
“What would you consider a successful camp: A successful camp will be everybody getting better day by day, both mentally and physically.”
Miami returns to the Greentree at 8:20 a.m. Sunday for its second #CanesCamp session. For the latest information on Miami Hurricanes Football, follow @MiamiHurricanes on Twitter and the official blog for Hurricanes Football, www.theufootball.com.