The Miami Hurricanes open the 2013 season Friday night against the Florida Atlantic Owls at Sun Life Stadium. Friday's game will kick at 8 p.m. ET on ESPNU. Miami is opening the season on a Friday for the 28th time in program history, posting a 21-6 mark.
Friday marks the third season under head coach Al Golden. At halftime of the season opener, the Hurricanes will honor former head coach Howard Schnellenberger and the 1983 National Championship team.
|Helpful Links: 2013 Media Almanac • Season Statistics • Game Notes • Depth Chart • TheUFootball.com|
GAME INFORMATION - GAME 1
RV/RV MIAMI HURRICANES (0-0) vs. NR/NR FLORIDA ATLANTIC OWLS (0-0)
Friday, Aug. 30, 2013 • 8 p.m. • ESPNU • Miami Gardens, Fla. • Sun Life Stadium (74,916)
Series History: Friday is the first meeting between the schools
Record in Season Openers: 59-27-1 (.684)
Miami Record in Home Openers at SLS: 5-0
ESPNU • Tom Hart, Play-by-Play • John Congemi, Analyst • Brooke Weisbrod, Sideline Reporter
WQAM 560 AM • Joe Zagacki, PXP • Don Bailey Jr., Analyst • Josh Darrow, Sideline Reporter
RADIO CARACOL 1260 AM • Roly Martin, PXP • Pepe Campos, Analyst • Joe Martinez, Analyst
WVUM 90.5 FM • Chris Wittyngham • Alex Schwartz
Satellite Radio • XM 191 (Home radio feed)
Howard Schnellenberger, head coach of the 1983 National Champions, will be Friday night's honorary captain. The 1983 team will also be honored at halftime.
#FULLSPEEDAHEAD WRISTBAND GIVEAWAY
In anticipation of the 2013 season opener Friday, the first 5,000 fans to enter Sun Life Stadium will receive a glow-in-the-dark #FullSpeedAhead wristband.
STUDENT BUS SCHEDULE
Buses will leave the University of Miami campus from the BankUnited Center and will begin departing 3 hours prior to kickoff. The first buses return at halftime and will run until 45 after the conclusion of the game.
- RV lot will open at 2 p.m.
- Green lot will open at 3 p.m.
- Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 4 p.m.
- Stadium gates will open at 6:30 p.m.
- Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. on ESPNU
SLS TAILGATING POLICIES
Tailgating is a big part of the gameday experience for many fans. For safety and enjoyment of all, we ask that you please follow these Tailgating tips:
- Occupy only ONE parking space per vehicle. Please do not save spaces for others.
- Tailgate directly behind your vehicle using the designated 8'x10' space outlined on the ground.
- Do not block the fire lane with tents or other items; the lane is needed for emergency response vehicles. Miami-Dade Police Officers will patrol these areas to ensure compliance.
- No box trucks, trailers, grills in-tow or any catering service from an outside source may be brought in.
- No kegs are allowed on the property. Anyone dispensing beer from a keg will be asked to leave and the keg will be confiscated.
- No golf carts or motorized scooters of any kind permitted.
- No generators, home speakers, banners and/or DJ's may be used.
- Please keep music volume low and do not play music with inappropriate language.
- Barbeque grills are allowed, open-flame fires are not permitted.
- Extinguish hot coals with water before leaving the area.
- Do NOT dispose of charcoal briquettes on the ground. After they are cold, place them in a plastic bag and deposit them in a trash bin.
- Clean up your area before entering the stadium to watch the game so it's safe for you and others.
GATE INFORMATION | NEW SLS FAN CONDUCT RULES
All stadium gates will open at 6:30 p.m. All patrons will be wanded as they enter the stadium. To avoid long lines and congestion, please get to the stadium early.
TICKET INFORMATION | SUN LIFE STADIUM MAP | 3D STADIUM VIEW
Great seats are still available for the FAU game. Call 1-800-GO-CANES or visit CanesTix.com. On gameday, ticket offices at Sun Life Stadium will open at 3:30 p.m. at Gates B, D, F and H. Ticket Will Call will open at 3:30 p.m. and Media Will Call will open at 4 p.m. at Gate H.
Click here for full instructions or check your email from athletics. (Medical Students click here).
The Hurricane Walk, the newest gameday Miami Hurricanes tradition. Hurricanes fans are invited to take part in the walk by forming a "human tunnel" from Gate H (southwest corner of SLS) to Gate A. Join your fellow Hurricanes, the Band of the Hour, Sebastian the Ibis and the spirit squads as the 2013 Miami Hurricanes football team walks from its arrival point into Sun Life Stadium. To take part in this event and welcome the Canes in grand fashion, make sure you are at Gate H by 6 p.m.
NFL BAG POLICY AT SUN LIFE STADIUM
Sun Life Stadium security personnel will be flexible at the gates as it relates to the new bag policy for Miami's first two home games: Friday vs. FAU and Sept. 7 vs. Florida.
Following the Florida game, bags will be mailed to season ticket holders. Each season ticket account will receive one bag.
Below are the NFL approved bags fans may carry into the stadium:
- One bag that is clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and does not exceed 12” by 6” and 12” or a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- In addition to one of the clear bags noted above, fans may also carry in a small clutch bag or purse approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at Gate E designated for this purpose.
- Diapers and wipes can be carried in a clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, will be able to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse, providing ample storage capacity.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.