Men's Tennis Falls to UCF
ORLANDO, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team finished their dual match against UCF today, falling to the in-state rivals 4-3, at the UCF Tennis Complex.
“UCF played better than us on the big points, and I give them credit. Our guys fought hard all day, and I'm proud of them for that, “ said head coach Mario Rincon of the team’s performance today.
Senior Omar Aly defeated his opponent Chirs Barrus, 6-3, 1-6, 6-5 (4), by finishing his third set strong. Aly and his doubles partner Wilfredo Gonzalez also won their match against Amar Hromoc and Jesse Flores, 6-5(4). Gonzalez put up a good fight in his singles match to Francesc Aulina, but came up short 6-2, 6-3.
Sophomore William Albanese took home the other singles win for the Canes. He defeated Inaki Espindola in two sets, 6-5(5), 6-5(3). Albanese and his partner Henrique Tsukamoto fell short to UCF duo Matthew Gladstone and Francesc Aulina, 6-3. Tsukamoto met the same fate in his singles match against Jesse Flores, falling 6-4, 6-3.
The senior pair Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto took home a win against the Knight pair of Chris Barrus and inaki Espindola, 6-3. Flores evened out his singles match in the second set but fell to Matthew Gladstone, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Soto also played a strong second set, but met the same fate, falling 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, to Amar Hromis.
Rincon is already preping for the next opponent; “we will get back on the courts on Tuesday, and keep working to get ready for our next home matches.”
The next match for the Canes is against Bethune-Cookman in Coral Gables on Friday January 31 at 2 p.m.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
UCF 4, #55 Miami 3
1. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Amar Hromis (UCF) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Omar Aly (UM) def. Chris Barrus (UCF) 6-3, 1-6, 6-5(4)
5. William Albanese (UM) def. Inaki Espindola (UCF) 6-5(5), 6-5(3)
6. Jesse Flores (UCF) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-4, 6-3
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Amar Hromoc/Jesse Flores. (UCF) 6-5(4)
2. Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Henrique Tsukamoto/William Albanese (UM) 6-3
3. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. Chris Barrus/Inaki Espindola (UCF) 6-3