Men's Tennis Defeats Florida A&M
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team defeated Florida A&M Sunday, 7-0 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Complex. The Hurricanes continued their winning streak after sweeping Bethune-Cookman on Friday, 7-0.
“The guys were ready to play today, they were moving well on the courts,” said head coach Mario Rincon. "It was a tough match today, and we are looking forward to our players to be even sharper after this victory."
Duo Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto played a strong doubles match, shutting out their opponents Zack Evenden and Courage Okungbowa, 6-0. William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto put up a good fight against Rodney Cary and Admire Mushonga, but fell 6-2. Omar Aly and newcomer Danny Shebsheyevich finished strong with a win, 6-3, over Agustin Waitman and Robert Ortiz, securing the doubles point for the Hurricanes.
Flores was proud of his team today. “In these early matches we get to work on improving. Today we were on top of our game. This is good preparation for a tough two tough matches next weekend.”
Despite falling in their doubles match, Albanese and Tsukamoto both won their singles matches, against Agustin Waitman, 6-2, 6-4, and Courage Okungbowa, 6-3, 6-0, respectively. This gave the Hurricanes a 3-point lead over the Rattlers.
Senior Omar Aly followed suit, taking down his opponent, Zach Evenden, 6-3, 6-2. Aly’s victory secured Miami’s win over Florida A&M.
Freshman Bernard Tefel struggled a bit in his second set, but was able to overcome Robert Ortiz, 6-3, 6-4.
Diego Soto had a long match with Admire Mushonga but played a smart game, winning 6-4, 6-4. Gabriel Flores had a rough start against Rodney Carey but finished strong in his tiebreaker, beating Carey, 5-6, 6-4 (10-1).
The Hurricanes will play again Friday February 7 at 1 p.m. The Canes take on Texas Tech at the Neil Schiff Tennis Complex. Sunday, February 9 the Hurricanes will take on the Bulls of South Florida at 2 p.m.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#60 Miami 7, Florida A&M 0
1. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Rodney Carey (FAMU) 5-6, 6-4 (10-1)
2. Omar Aly (UM) def. Zach Evenden (FAMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Admire Mushonga (FAMU) 6-4, 6-4
4. William Albanese (UM) def. Agustin Waitman (FAMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Bernard Tefel (UM) def. Robert Ortiz (FAMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Courage Okungbowa (FAMU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Rodney Carey/Admire Mushonga (FAMU) def. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. Zack Evenden/Courage Okungbowa (FAMU) 6-0
3. Omar Aly/Danny Shebsheyevich (UM) def. Agustin Waitman/Robert Ortiz (FAMU) 6-3