CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The No. 60 University of Miami men’s tennis team fell to No. 54 Texas Tech, 4-3 after a series of competitive matches at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
“It was a really tough match, it came down to the very end,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I think our guys are working hard but we can improve. The competition is only going to get stronger in the ACC.”
The Hurricanes lost the doubles point after hard fought matches. Partners William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto trailed early in the match against Maxime Hinnisdaels and Hugo Dojas. Albanese and Tsukamoto started to come back but eventually fell 6-3.
Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto broke their four-match winning streak against Felipe Soares and Johann Willems with a score of 6-4. Omar Aly and Danny Shebshayevich did not finish their match against Francisco Zambon and Carlos DiLaura after the doubles point was secured by Texas Tech.
After losing in a close first set, Soto came back dominant in the second two sets and beat Johann Willems 5-6, 6-3, 6-1, in singles. Tsukamoto defeated Jolan Cailleau 6-5, 5-6, 6-5 in a long back-and-forth match. Flores beat Hugo Dojas in his singles match 6-2, 5-6, 6-4, at the No. 2 position. Freshman Bernard Tefel fell short in his match against Maxime Hinnisdaels 6-4, 6-1.
Albanese and Aly lost their singles matches but fought hard, forcing both matches to the third set. Albanese fell to Francisco Zambon 6-5, 4-6, 6-1. Aly was defeated by Felipe Soares 5-6, 6-2, 6-3.
“We’re just going to have to regroup and do our very best to recover well tonight. We need to have a good practice tomorrow and just try to keep learning from this,” assistant coach Mark Dickson said.
The Canes take on the University of South Florida in Coral Gables on Sunday February 9 at 2 p.m.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#54 Texas Tech 4, #60 Miami 3
1. Felipe Soares (TT) def. Omar Aly (UM) 5-6,6-2, 6-3
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Hugo Dojas (TT) 6-2, 5-6, 6-4
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Johann Willems (TT) 5-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Francisco Zambon (TT) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-5, 4-6, 6-1
5. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Jolan Cailleau (TT) 6-5, 5-6, 6-5
1. Maxime Hinnisdaels/Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Henrique Tsukamoto/William Albanese (UM) 6-3
2. Felipe Soares/Johann Willems (TT) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 6-4
3. Omar Aly/Danny Shebshayevich (UM) vs. Francisco Zambon/Carlos DiLaura (TT) 4-5, unfinished