CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 62 University of Miami men’s tennis team defeated the UNF Ospreys 4-3 today at 2 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
The doubles point was a hard fought loss to the Ospreys. All three matches were close as the pairs went back and forth with their opponents for the lead. Senior duo Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto came up short to Norbert Nemcsek and Jack Findel-Hawkins, 8-6. Henrique Tsukamoto and William Albanese just missed defeating Yannick Zuern and Mark Hamill, 8-6. The final doubles match of Omar Aly and Danny Shebshayevich versus Pablo Tellez and Zachary Goldberg went unfinished.
After losing the doubles point, Miami won 4 singles matches for the overall team win. Diego Soto took the first point for the Canes, playing great tennis against Zachary Goldberg, 6-2, 6-0. William Albanese fought hard for his second set win to defeat Pablo Tellez, 6-1, 6-4. Omar Aly secured the third point for the Canes, defeating Norbert Nemcsek, 6-4, 6-2. Henrique Tsukamoto secured the team win for the Hurricanes. He overcame Bernard Craveiro, 7-5, 6-2.
Gabriel Flores fought hard against Jack Findel-Hawkins but came up short, 6-4, 6-2. Bernard Tefel won his second set but lost to Yannick Zuern, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.
The Hurricanes now hold a 4-3 spring season record. The next match for the Canes is a double header against Presbyterian at 10 a.m. and Xavier at 4 p.m. in Coral Gables on Tuesday March 4.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#62 Miami 4, UNF 3
1. Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Omar Aly (UM) def. Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) 6-4, 6-2
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Zachary Goldberg (UNF) 6-2, 6-0
4. William Albanese (UM) def. Pablo Tellez (UNF) 6-1, 6-4
5. Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Bernard Craveiro (UNF) 7-5, 6-2
1. Norbert Nemcsek/Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-6
2. Yannick Zuern/Mark Hamill (UNF) def. Henrique Tsukamoto/William Albanese (UM) 8-6
3. Omar Aly/Daniel Shebshayevich (UM) and Pablo Tellez/Zachary Goldberg (UNF) unfinished