CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami men’s tennis team completed their doubleheader sweeping Xavier University 7-0 on Tuesday March 4 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
“It was a great team effort today. It’s never easy to play a doubleheader at Miami because of the heat,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “Our guys were up for the challenge.”
Senior duo Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto finished first in doubles, defeating partners Matt Bishop and Adam Krull 8-3. Partners William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto beat Brian Carmen and Zach Mueck 8-5, securing the doubles point. Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez were ahead in their doubles match against Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker but the match went unfinished.
Diego Soto was first to finish in the singles matches. Soto defeated Zach Mueck in two quick sets with a final score of 6-4, 6-1. Wilfredo Gonzalez won his first singles match after coming back from an injury that occurred earlier this season. Gonzalez beat Adam Krull 6-3, 6-1. Omar Aly defeated Jimmy Roebker 6-4, 6-4.
“Some guys had to come back from being down a set and they were tired but they were mentally tough and were able to pull away in the third set,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “It was a great day for Miami.”
Henrique Tsukamoto put up a fight against his opponent, Jeremy Schneider, giving the Hurricanes a 4-0 lead. Tsukamoto forced the match into three sets with a final score of 6-0, 1-6, 6-4. Albanese beat Matt Bishop 3-6, 6-0, 6-4, which gave Miami a 5-0 lead and a sure victory over Xavier. Gabriel Flores went into a 10-point tiebreaker eventually defeating Mesa Mei 5-7, 7-5, (10-2).
Miami now has a 6-3 season record. The Canes are hitting the road this weekend. They take on Clemson on Friday March 7 at 11 a.m. and Georgia Tech on Sunday March 9 at 11 a.m.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
Miami 7, Xavier 0
1. Omar Aly (UM) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Mesa Mei (XU) 5-7, 7-5, 10-2 (10-2)
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Zach Mueck (XU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Adam Krull (XU) 6-3, 6-1
5. William Albanese (UM) def. Matt Bishop (XU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Jeremy Schneider (XU) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) vs. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) unfinished
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. Matt Bishop/Adam Krull (XU) 8-3
3. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Brian Carman/Zach Mueck (XU) 8-5
Xavier University 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,6,5,1,2)