University of Miami senior Omar Aly won his first ACC singles match of the season, but the Hurricanes were defeated, 6-1, by No. 23 Clemson in the Canes’ first league match of the year on Friday in South Carolina.
“Clemson is a tough team and they were better than us today,” said head coach Mario Rincon. “We will get to Atlanta tonight and have a good practice tomorrow in preparation for our match against Georgia Tech on Sunday.”
After falling behind 7-5 in the first set, Aly won two-straight sets against Hunter Harrington, defeating the Tiger 6-3 to send the match into a third set. Aly won the set 7-6, after an 8-point tiebreaker.
“Omar had a great win for the Hurricanes today,” added Rincon.
In doubles, Clemson won all three matches. Aly teamed with Wilfredo Gonzalez in the top position, but fell, 8-5, to Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden. Harrington is ranked No. 57 in the country in doubles, but with teammate Daniel Strawn as a partner.
Clemson’s Alejandro Augusto and Robert Dudley secured the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto. In the third match, William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto were defeated 8-4 by Luke Johnson and Austin Ansari.
Soto won his first singles set against Augusto, 5-7, but lost two-straight (6-3, 6-0) to relinquish the point to the Tigers. Flores was defeated by Maden, 6-2, 6-3 while Gonzalez, playing in his second match of the season, was defeated 6-1, 6-1, by Ansari. Flores and Tsukamoto each lost by a score of 6-2, 6-3, and Albanese was defeated 6-4, 6-3.
The Canes continue ACC play on Sunday when Miami faces Georgia Tech at 11 a.m. in Atlanta.
Stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
1. Omar Aly (UM) d. Hunter Harrington (CU) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (8)
2. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) d. Diego Soto (UM) 5-7 6-3, 6-0
4. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Luke Johnson (CU) d. William Albanese (UM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Robert Dudley (CU) d. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 1
1. Harrington/Maden (CU) d. Aly/Gonzalez (UM) 8-5
2. Augusto/Dudley (CU) d. Flores/Soto (UM) 8-4
3. Johnson/Ansari (CU) d. Albanese/Tsukamoto (UM) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1