The University of Miami men's tennis team defeated No. 52 Georgia Tech, 5-2, in Atlanta Sunday for the Canes' first ACC win of the season.
"It was a great win for the Canes today," said head coach Mario Rincon. "Any win in the ACC is a good one, especially on the road. We bounced back after the doubles point, and our guys got off to a good start in singles."
After falling behind in doubles, Miami's Omar Aly brought home UM's first point with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Nathan Rakitt. Henrique Tsukamoto followed suit with another straight-sets win, 6-4, 6-1, over Colin Edwards at the sixth position.
Gabriel Flores made it three-straight points for the Canes by defeating Carlos Benito 6-3, 6-4, to take the 3-1 overall lead. Diego Soto faced Eduardo Segura in the first match of the day to go to three sets. Soto took the early 7-5 lead, but fell 4-6 in the second set. In the final set, Soto swept Segura 6-0 for the win.
Wilfredo Gonzalez also played his opponent, Cole Fiegel, to three sets, but came up short 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. William Albanese secured Miami's final point with a come-from-behind victory. After falling 4-6 in the first, he won 6-4, 6-1 to get the win.
To start the day in doubles, Soto and Flores fell 8-6 to Fiegel and Rakitt. Then Aly and Gonzalez played No. 36 Benito and Segura to an 8-7 score, but lost in a 16-14 tiebreaker. The third doubles match between Albanese and Tsukamoto went unfinished despite a score of 7-7 (7-6).
The Canes next host Troy on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Georgia Tech
Mar 9, 2014 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
Miami 5, #52 Georgia Tech 2
1. Omar Aly (UM) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 6-0, 6-2
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 7-5, 4-6, 6-0
4. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. William Albanese (UM) def. Will Showers (GT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Colin Edwards (GT) 6-4, 6-1
1. #36 Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 8-7 (16-14)
2. Cole Fiegel/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-6
3. Colin Edwards/Will Showers (GT) vs. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 7-7 (7-6), unfinished
Miami 7-4, 1-1 ACC
Georgia Tech 6-6, 0-2 ACC; National ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,6,2,3,4,5)