CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 65 University of Miami men’s tennis team defeated the No. 58 University of Wisconsin, 4-0, today at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Three of the four points came from the singles matches of the senior class: Omar Aly, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto.
"Our seniors are having a great season," said Mario Rincon. "Today was a really great team effort."
Miami secured the doubles point, taking the early lead. The senior pair of Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto took home the first win of the day, defeating Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev, 8-5. William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto followed with another win for Miami. They over came Elliott Sprecher and John Zordani, 8-2. Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez’ match against Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov went unfinished.
Senior Omar Aly won his singles match against Oskar Wikberg, 6-3, 6-1, in the number one position. Aly’s win gave the Hurricanes a two-point advantage over the Badgers. Playing in the number two position, Gabriel Flores gave his team the third point. He defeated Alexander Kokorev in a second set tiebreaker, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2). After winning his first set 6-2, Diego Soto fell in his second to Petr Satral, 4-6, but was able to defeat the Badger, 6-3, in the third to take home the fourth point, and the victory, for Miami.
"Wisconsin is a great program," said Rincon. "They rattled us, but we were able to stay on track. We knew it was going to be a tough match. I am proud of the team."
The Hurricanes will continue their streak of home matches with ACC play this weekend in Coral Gables. UM will take on Wake Forest Friday, March 21 at 4 p.m., then on Sunday, March 23 the Canes will take on NC State at 12 p.m.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#65 Miami 4, #58 Wisconsin 0
1. Omar Aly (UM) def. Oskar Wikberg (UW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Alexander Kokorev (UW) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Petr Satral (UW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) unfinished
5. Elliott Sprecher (UW) def. William Albanese (UM) unfinished
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. John Zordani (UW) unfinished
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) and Oskar Wikberg/Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) unfinished
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (UW) 8-5
3. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Elliott Sprecher/John Zordani (UW) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (1, 2, 3)