CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 72 University of Miami men’s tennis team defeated ACC rival No. 18 Wake Forest, 4-3, today at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
"I am so proud of the guys," said head coach Mario Rincon."They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning."
With the crowd cheering on, Omar Aly defeated No. 20 Romain Bogaerts in a second set tiebreaker, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to give the Canes the fourth point and secure the victory over the No. 18 Wake Forest Deacons.
Four years have passed since the Hurricanes defeated a Top 20 program. The last time was March 13, 2011, against then-No. 16 Georgia Tech in Coral Gables. In the sixth position, freshman, at the time, Gabriel Flores secured the win, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5.
The Hurricanes earned the first point of the match against Wake Forest as Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez won their match against Adam Lee and Jon Ho, 8-3. William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto defeated Anthony Delcore and Aws Laaribi, 8-5, to give the early advantage to the Canes, 1-0. Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores’ doubles match went unfinished.
Senior Flores took down No. 48 Adam Lee, 6-1, 6-0, giving the Canes a two-point lead over the Demon Deacons. Gonzalez had a great match-up against Jon Ho, defeating the WFU player 6-2, 6-4. The Hurricanes continued to lead No. 18 Wake Forest, 3-0.
Albanese lost his first set to Pedro Dumont, 6-3. He fought to make a comeback in the second set, but was beat out in a tie-breaker, 6-7 (5-7).
Tsukamoto put up a valiant effort, taking home the second set, but it was not enough. He fell to Nicky Kunz, 3-6, 6-2, 4-6.
Diego Soto played No. 56 Maksim Kan to three sets, winning the first in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-5), but fell in the second two sets, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).
Miami is currently riding a five-match winning streak. The Canes have won eight of their last nine events.
The Hurricanes will continue ACC play Sunday March 23 at 12 p.m. as they take on No. 31 NC State at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
"We are looking foward to playing NC State at home. Our guys will leave everything they have on the court against them," said Rincon.
Stay connected with the Canes on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#72 Miami 4, #18 Wake Forest 2
1. Omar Aly (UM) def. No. 20 Romain Bogaerts (WF) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. No. 48 Adam Lee (WF) 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 56 Maksim Kan (WF) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-7 (7-5), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-2, 6-4
5. Pedro Dumont (WF) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Nicky Kunz (WF) Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Adam Lee/Jon Ho (WF) 8-3
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) and Maksim Kan/Romain Bogaerts (WF) unfinished
3. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Anthony Delcore/Aws Laaribi (WF) 8-5
Wake Forest 9-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3); Singles (2, 4, 5, 1, 6, 3)