CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Tuesday the No. 39 University of Miami men's tennis team won its seventh-straight match, defeating the University of Nebraska Omaha at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
The Canes had a good start to the day's match against UNO as doubles partners Wilfredo Gonzalez and Danny Shebshayevich swept their opponents Erik Anderson and Colin Buckly, 8-0. The senior duo, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto, beat Adam Dockery and Eric McKnight 8-4, giving the Canes a lead heading into the singles matches. Partners William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto also defeated their opponents, Tyler Mercier and Nathan Greteman, with a score of 8-4.
“I was very happy to see Daniel Shebshayevich and Bernard Tefel in the lineup,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I see that they are making a lot of progress and at any moment we know we may need them.”
Freshman Shebshayevich finished first in the singles matches, beating Lukas Vanzura 6-1, 6-0. Shebshayevich is now 2-0 this season in singles and 4-0 in doubles. Albanese shut out his opponent Eric McKnight 6-0, 6-0 then Bernard Tefel secured the team win downing Erik Anderson 6-2, 6-0. Tefel improves to 4-4 overall in singles.
Gonzalez, Tsukamoto and Flores continued the winning streak. Gonzalez topped UNO’s Adam Dockery 6-2, 6-4. Tsukamoto won his match against James McManus 6-2, 6-3, and Flores completed the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Tyler Mercier.
The Canes are traveling to Virginia to face No. 4 University of Virginia Cavaliers on Friday at 3 p.m. and No. 54 Virginia Tech Hokies on Sunday at 12 p.m.
Stay connected with the Canes by following on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#39 Miami 7, University of Nebraska 0
1. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Tyler Mercier (NO) 6-4, 6-2
2. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Adam Dockery (NO) 6-2, 6-4
3. William Albanese (UM) def. Eric McKnight (NO) 6-0, 6-0
4. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. James McManus (NO) 6-2, 6-3
5. Bernard Tefel (UM) def. Erik Anderson (NO) 6-2, 6-0
6. Danny Shebshayevich (UM) def. Lukas Vanzura (NO) 6-1, 6-0
1. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. Adam Dockery/Eric McKnight (NO) 8-4
2. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Tyler Mercier/Nathan Greteman (NO) 8-4
3. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Danny Shebshayevich (UM) def. Erik Anderson/Colin Buckly (NO) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (6, 3, 5, 2, 4, 1)