Men's Tennis Falls to No. 4 Virginia, 7-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 39 University of Miami men's tennis team was defeated, 7-0, by No. 4 Virginia Friday in Charlottesville, Va.
The Canes have won 10 of their last 12 matches, but this loss marks the end of the Hurricanes' seven-match winning streak.
"We were overpowered in every position today - credit to Virginia.," said coach Mario Rincon. "We need to bounce back and get ready for VT on Sunday."
As the number two doubles, William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto were overcome by Alex Domijan and Harrison Richmond, 8-0, then Wilfredo Gonzalez and Danny Shebshayevich, who have recently started playing as a doubles pair, were defeated by Justin Shane and Ryan Shane, 8-1, for Virginia to take the doubles point. Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto’s match against JC Aragone and Luca Corinteli went unfinished.
In singles Flores took on No. 4 Mitchell Frank in the top position, falling 6-2, 6-2, to the Cavalier. In the fifth position, No. 76 Jordan Daigle defeated Tsukamoto, 6-2, 6-2, to give Virginia the 3-0 victory.
Soto was paired against another top ranked player, in No. 24. Alex Domijan. Despite Soto’s efforts, he was defeated, 6-1, 6-3, and UVa earned the team victory.
Albanese was matched against No. 59 Mac Styslinger in the fourth position and the Hurricane sophomore fell in two sets, 6-3, 6-1. In the sixth position, freshman Bernard Tefel was overcome by Harrison Richmond, 6-0, 6-3. Facing No. 112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, Gonzalez put up a good fight in the second set, but was overcome, 6-2, 6-4.
The team will travel to Blacksburg, Va., to face No. 54 Virginia Tech on Sunday at 3 p.m.
Stay connected with the Canes on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#4 Virginia 7, #39 Miami 0
1. No. 4 Mitchell Frank (UV) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 24 Alex Domijan (UV) def. Diego Soto 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UV) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4. No. 59 Mac Styslinger (UV) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-3, 6-1
5. No. 76 Jordan Daigle (UV) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Harrison Richmond (UV) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-0, 6-3
1. JC Aragone/Luca Corinteli (UV) and Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) unfinished
2. Alex Domijan/Harrison Richmond (UV) def. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-0
3. Justin Shane/Ryan Shane (UV) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Danny Shebshayevich (UM) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (1, 5, 2, 4, 6, 3)