CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 39 University of Miami men’s tennis team was defeated, 6-1, by No. 54 Virginia Tech Sunday in Blacksburg.
"It was a tough trip for us," said Head Coach Mario Rincon. "We need to regroup and get back to work."
Virginia Tech won the first point of the day, after securing the doubles point. Senior duo Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto went up against No. 64 Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini, but were defeated 8-3. Wilfredo Gonzalez and Henrique Tsukamoto were overcome by Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro, 8-4, in the second position.
The freshman duo of Danny Shebshayevich and Bernard Tefel defeated Jai Corbett and Florian Nicoud in the third position, 8-7(7-4). This was the pair’s first time as doubles partners.
Miami turned to singles matches to gain points on No. 54 Virginia Tech. Shebshayevich came through for the Canes, earning the only point for Miami. He defeated Jai Corbett, 2-6, 6-4 (10-7).
"Danny has improved a lot and it was great to see him win his match," said Rincon, "He had a good day winning his singles and doubles with Bernard."
Flores was able to win his first set against No. 19 Amerigo Contini, 7-5. It was not enough as Flores was overcome in the second set and tiebreaker, 6-2 (10-8). Soto also took on a ranked player, No. 120 Andreas Bjerrehus. He fell to the Hokie, 6-4, 6-1.
Tsukamoto and Gonzalez fought valiantly but were defeated by their opponents Hunter Koontz, 6-2, 6-2, and Joao Monteiro, 6-3, 6-3, respectively. Tefel was leading the his first set but was overcome by Florian Nicoud, 6-3, 6-1.
The Hurricanes now have a 13-6 (ACC 3-3) spring season record. The team will continue ACC play this weekend as they host No. 14 Duke Friday, April 4 at 2 p.m. and No. 8 North Carolina on Sunday, April 6 at 12 p.m. in Coral Gables.
Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CanesMensTennis.
#54 Virginia Tech 6, #39 Miami 1
1. No. 19 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 5-7, 6-2, 10-8
2. No. 120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Danny Shebshayevich (UM) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
1. No. 64 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-3
2. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-4
3. Bernard Tefel/Danny Shebshayevich (UM) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-7(7-4)
Miami 13-6 (ACC 3-3)
Virginia Tech 10-7 (ACC 3-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 2, 3, 5, 6, 1)