No. 47 Men's Tennis Drops Match to No. 9 UNC
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The 47th-ranked Miami Hurricanes men's tennis team lost a hard-fought battle Sunday to No. 9 North Carolina 5-2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
The Tar Heels took the first point of the day, winning two of three doubles matches. Senior partners Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto battled hard against Jack Murray and Ronnie Schneider, but the Canes duo was defeated 8-5. No. 1 one doubles partners Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez shined in their match, defeating North Carolina’s Oystein Steiro and Nelson Vick 8-3. Partners Bernard Tefel and Henrique Tsukamoto lost 8-2.
“We had a good comeback in the singles winning a bunch of first sets, we had opportunities, but North Carolina is a really, really good team," head coach Mario Rincon said. “We pushed them, but it wasn’t enough.”
The Canes were overcome in a series of close singles matches. Soto was dominant against Oystein Steiro and won his match 6-3, 6-2. Aly, Flores and Gonzalez all battled against their opponents, forcing their matches into three sets. No. 92 Aly played hard against No. 25 Ronnie Schneider, upsetting him 6-4, 5-7, 7-6. Flores was defeated by No. 58 Brett Clark 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, while Gonzalez lost 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Miami is now 13-8 (ACC 3-5) on the spring. The Hurricanes will conclude their regular-season road schedule April 11 at Notre Dame and April 13 at Boston College. Make sure to stay connected with the Canes and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @CanesMensTennis.
#9 NORTH CAROLINA 5, #47 MIAMI 2
1. No. 92 Omar Aly (UM) def. No. 25 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (9-7)
2. No. 58 Brett Clark (UNC) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jack Murray (UNC) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Nelson Vick (UNC) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Johan Skattum (UNC) def. Daniel Shebshayevich (UM) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Oystein Steiro/ Nelson Vick (UNC) 8-3
2. Jack Murray/Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-5
3. Esben Hess-Olesen/Brett Clark (UNC) def. Bernard Tefel/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1)